Wednesday, December 2, 2009

What I Have Learned About Love

Friday, February 20, 2009 

- that love is a flow. sometimes giving more, sometimes receiving more. Always in motion. It can exist completely out of balance in the context of one person, but the flow of love as a whole will remain in balance within me. 

- that I can love someone just as they are and let go my need to control that experience. 

- that someone else will see me as beautiful just as I am. There is a power available to me when I own that. 

- that the things people bring to me as gifts are my responsibility to carry forward in my life not theirs 

- that the images of how love is 'supposed' to be are a hallmark kind of bullshit that western culture has fed us. love can be whatever I imagine it to be with whomever I imagine it with. 

- that real love is hard work, most of it shit of my own making. It requires a choice every day, but the paycheck for that work is the best one I have ever received. 

- that real love hurts. There is no way to avoid that. But, it is also the most amazing feeling I have known. 

- that love is elastic - there is always room for others, room to grow, room for continents of distance. 

- that everything is easier when I can laugh about it - even, maybe especially, love.

No comments:

Post a Comment

 I have written a lot about my belly - series of poems dedicated to it. I happen to like my belly. Always have Oh, I know it's not what ...