Tuesday, December 29, 2009

Scientific Observation #4


Scientific Observation #4 subcategory: Physiological Physics

Newtons 3rd law states that for each action there is an equal and opposite reaction.

Hypothesis: When applying force to break up caked dishwashing soap in the box by striking it with another object - say the palm of one's hand - one might expect a equal and opposing amount of force to be applied to the palm of one's hand by the aforementioned soap (reaction). Since the box is inert it feels nothing. However, it is predicted that since the palm is attached to my hand, the reactive force might well result in the utterance of colorful epithets, extemporaneous dance, significant rupture of palmar vasculature, and a #3 on the Mosby faces pain scale.

One might also use this scenario to demonstrate Newton's first law - that an object in motion tends to stay in motion and those at rest tend to stay at rest, but I will leave that for subsequent experimentation as I go off in search of sub-zero water in which to soak my hand.

No comments:

Post a Comment

 I have written a lot about my belly - series of poems dedicated to it. I happen to like my belly. Always have Oh, I know it's not what ...