Thursday, December 3, 2009

Little Goddesses


I found this photo on Yahoo or NPR. I can't remember which. Loved it on sight.

I have always loved little statues like these that have surfaced across central Europe. Am a fan of Neolithic art of all kinds actually. Unpretentious. Honest. Powerful. But my love of these little, sometimes headless, and always round female statuary was particularly intense.

Why these little statues? What was it about them that intrigued me? DUH!

My path diverged from that of modern Western Society a long time ago. As a woman it seemed there was no place for me to be heard, or seen or valued for what I am. Constantly under pressure to fit in by dumbing down, squeezing my curves into breath-stealing spandex torture devices, and hiding any part of me that was outside the 'norm' as defined by society. Turns out that is pretty much all of me that exists outside that narrow view. Well I say FUCK THAT SHIT!

It has not always been this way for women. These little goddesses are from a time when women were powerful and beautiful in their skins. They enjoyed as much power in their Neolithic tribal society as the men. Not in competition with the men, but complementary to them. Maybe I like them because they remind me that this is possible. Even before I knew about them, i "knew" about them and loved them.

Ladies, it's time for a revolution. Time to stop yearning toward the unattainable Victoria Secret model perfection and just be the beautiful women of all sizes and colors the Creator made us to be. To forget all that Madison Ave bullshit and step into our own authentic power, our own beauty. Our sometimes BIG and CURVALISCIOUS beauty. That's right. Curves are beautiful. They are part of who we are. We are all little goddesses.


BTW - I particularly LOVE this little goddess and want to have my body painted EXACTLY like this. No idea why....it just seems superbly powerful and beautiful to my eyes. Especially the double spiral forms on the ass cheeks. Perhaps it is my way to capture that power and beauty for myself. For me to see this body as beautiful and powerful - and to love it just like it is.

No comments:

Post a Comment

 I have written a lot about my belly - series of poems dedicated to it. I happen to like my belly. Always have Oh, I know it's not what ...