Wednesday, December 2, 2009

Courage 7/13/09

When asked to describe something courageous, my friends gave me the expected responses.  Images of fireman entering burning buildings, soldiers facing enemy fire, explorers leaving the comforts of home to see what's out there beyond that ocean, beyond that mountain range, out there in the inky darkness of space.  People facing aging or dying with a smile and a story.  Conquering your fear of heights by skydiving.  Pretty much what you would expect.  Let me start by saying that every one of these things IS courage.  

As always, when I ask these thought questions I am also thinking of an answer.  To me, the most courageous thing we do is that we love.  We open ourselves to another human being or animal and let them see who we really are.  We allow ourselves to be vulnerable.  We choose to share who we are with them.  We chance rejection in order to maybe garner that unique emotional connection.  Sometimes we get hurt in the process.  Some get hurt many times.  Sometimes we are crushed by the experience.  For me courage is that person who, having been crushed, does not shut down.  Instead is willing to be vulnerable again.  Is willing to chance that pain again in order to find what they are looking for.  The one whose Frankenstein heart remains open. That for me is the very definition of courage.

No comments:

Post a Comment

 I have written a lot about my belly - series of poems dedicated to it. I happen to like my belly. Always have Oh, I know it's not what ...