Wednesday, December 2, 2009

THE Note

I got up today and just felt out of sorts. Not sure at all what I need to feel better. Its been this way for quite a while. 

So as I sat at my desk and worked my way thru the phone calls, paperwork and crap that have collected there, my eyes fell on the corner of a tiny slip of paper. I wondered "What is that?" and why is it on the wall. I shuffled the postings, directories of DB employees, my short list of experiments to get done. When all of those things were out of the way what I saw made me smile.

A tiny slip of perforated paper containing a child's scrawl in hot pink ink. It simply said 

I love you Mary Dusing. 
Love
Jackie Dusing. 

I have had that note for 15 years. It getting a little yellow. The ink is starting to fade but I can still read it. It has moved with me from lab to lab. One of the few desk 'decorations' that has. The girl who wrote that at 4 and left it in my purse for me to find has long since disappeared, transformed as if by magic into a beautiful confident young woman. I know she loves me still, but for a moment I could see her radiant little 4 year old face and feel her tiny hand slide into mine. 

That is all it took for me to feel better. To recognize that I am loved. Love is magic. It knows no limits of time or space. 

I love you too Jackie Dusing

No comments:

Post a Comment

 I have written a lot about my belly - series of poems dedicated to it. I happen to like my belly. Always have Oh, I know it's not what ...