Wednesday, December 2, 2009

Throwing It to the Wind

Sunday, January 25, 2009 
I am a planner. I like to be ready, to know where I am going, like to have a map handy, like to be on time. Even when I was younger, I was like this. So, I can't blame all of it on my science training - but I am sure that hasn't helped. The importance of crossing every T and dotting every i is not lost on me.

Much of my spiritual path has been about encouraging me to fly by the seat of my pants and trust my intuition. To move in a certain direction because it feels good to my heart and not because there is a destination involved. WTF!?! To befriend people who kinda scare me and to walk politely away from those who would suck my energy to empty. I am still trying to allow myself the freedom to do this, trying to keep the inner critic from demanding things be a certain way. 

Recently I got my second tattoo. A VERY different experience than the first one. The first one I prepared for by researching and designing for six months. I looked at dozens of portfolios before I decided. Start to finish, the whole process probably took over a year. This time, I had 15 minutes to spare and walked into a shop I noticed near the salon where I was having my hair done. I made my appointment with whoever was available and trusted the artist to embellish the doodle I had given him. Start to finish this time (excluding doodling time) about 2 weeks. I got a great tattoo that I like as well as the one i researched and planned. 

My point in this is to encourage people to loosen up on the reins a bit, to go slower sometimes, to listen to the small still voice that speaks to you because it is usually right. 

Mary - who is becoming a fly by the seat of her pants kinda girl 

No comments:

Post a Comment

 I have written a lot about my belly - series of poems dedicated to it. I happen to like my belly. Always have Oh, I know it's not what ...