Thursday, December 31, 2009

The Black Squirrel


I love squirrels. Iknow. Iknow. Iknow - rats with furry tails. Desecrators of your feeders. I like them because they are smart and they make me laugh. When I was at U of L, I loved the population of albino squirrels on campus even when they ran up my leg in the morning to try and steal my granola bar. How dare I eat something so obviously squirrel food!

The place where I live now is bordered in the back by a small stretch of woods - what I think of as sighing space from the unrelenting concrete and houses here in Wonderbread town. Lots of things live in that little space. Deer. Raccoons. Groundhogs. And Squirrels. The squirrels nest in the hollowed out tree in the front by the drive and sometimes I will see the mama ferrying little ones from one nest to another looking like fuzzy grey tennis balls.

Last week I saw something unusual out in the back there. And I have seen it every day since. A really dark colored squirrel. Not quite as black as most black squirrels and definitely not as grey as the ones in my tree. Interesting. I wonder how he feels being the only black squirrel in Wonderbread town?

No comments:

Post a Comment

 I have written a lot about my belly - series of poems dedicated to it. I happen to like my belly. Always have Oh, I know it's not what ...