Wednesday, December 2, 2009

What Is Love?

Tuesday, April 14, 2009 

I slip outside to greet the sun 
dawning on a new day I can only dread.

The wren lights on the split rail, tail pert
and chatters as if to scold me for that thought.

But I cannot shake it no matter how she scold me.

I quietly go back in resolved
to go thru the routine of a day

Giving my hands and my mind
something else to think on

I grind beans, but take no delight
in their aroma released just for me

I shower, but do not enjoy the water
cannot release the pain and send it down the drain

I drive to work without creating my day

What do I care what comes?

I park and walk the sidewalk slowly
while the breeze invites me to play

I turn a stoic cheek to that invitation - DENIED.

An apple tree shakes her benediction on me
in the form of fragrant little snow blossoms

Caught unawares, I laugh for just a second.
not the brittle laugh of the past few weeks

But an innocent laugh of wonder 
as the shower of white petals falls into my hair.

Her demonstration of unconditional love.

No comments:

Post a Comment

 I have written a lot about my belly - series of poems dedicated to it. I happen to like my belly. Always have Oh, I know it's not what ...