Tuesday, December 14, 2010

Overcoming Pennywise

This week I am reading Stephen King's On Writing.  I don't know why it has taken me 10 years to get to it.  I distinctly remember its publication and thinking I must read that.  But I never did.  That despite really enjoying King's body of work.  When I was younger I loved the way he just knew what creeped me out.  Like he had poked around in the collective and found out what we fear most and then housed those things in the innocuous guise of a clown, or a beloved pet or a nerd girl.  I still can't enjoy circus clowns because of Pennywise.  I was going to include a photo of him, but even those gave me the heebie jeebies.   So don't click on the link if you don't wanna see.

When I got older I recognized that King wrote brilliant dialogue.  I'm not talking content here, but structure and language.  Dialogue in one of his books sounded like the conversations I had with my friends, the ones I overheard on the bus, the ones shouted at 2AM by the drunk in my neighborhood and his wife.  There is just a truth to it.  

So I wonder why did it take me 10 years to get to this book?  I thought about that today as I was reading.  And it was like staring into the chalk white face of Pennywise himself.  Fear.  The kind that immobilizes you in place.  10 years ago it was - What if I discovered that I sucked by reading it?  Or that I was a lame ass hack when it came to writing?  What if people could see inside me when I wrote?  Oh God, what if they discovered how fucked up I am?  Mostly though, there was the thought that if I read this book, I would have to claim my writer's beanie once and for all.  

Those initial fears gave way to new ones as I dared to model my stylin' new writer's beanie in the mirror at last.  Would people think what I have to say unimportant or boring?  What if no one read my words?  What if my words were not appreciated much less understood?  I think King explains it best when he says without an audience "you are just a voice quacking in the void."   Oh God, don't let me be a quacker!

I think I was able to finally pick up the book and read it, because none of those things bother me anymore.  Or at least bother me much less.   I rock the beanie and I'm keepin it.   Nothing you say can make me take it off.  I no longer care if you think I am a total goober or a fucked up nutcase (both are true at times).  I don't care if no one reads.  I am not really writing for them.  I am writing for me.  Anything else is a bonus.

So, Quack Quack Pennywise.  

10 comments:

  1. You wear the beanie so well...

    Stephen King's On Writing: The BEST book on writing I've ever read. It might even be the first book on writing I've actually finished :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've read everything else of his but that. Soon. Soon. Maybe I, too, fear that something in King's words will tell me my writing sucks... which would be right up there with Emeril telling me I don't know shit about cooking.

    I still, whenever I'm freaked out by something, say, "We all float down here." Kind of warped, but it's my way of whistling past the graveyard.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am not going to click on the link to Pennywise - at least, not this year or next! If Jane says this book is good, it is good. Maybe I'll read that in 2012 - The Big Year. : >

    ReplyDelete
  4. @ Jane I would have to agree. Simple easy to understand. Straight to the point.

    @ Barb. Time to read it. Your writing is awesome!

    @ Patricia - chicken butt!!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh my gosh, Mary. I love everything about this blog posting. I, too, am a fan of all King's work, (I only discoverd On Writing a few years ago and LOVED it!) I thank you for not posting Pennywise's picture. I once was babysitting and they had a VHS of the movie sitting on their entertainment center and I was too terrified to walk near it to get the remote, so I just sat on the couch all night paralyzed with fear.

    You are so right about how gooooood King is at making people sound so real! When I taught high school creative writing, I would bring in a passage from Carrie to demonstrate how to write realistic dialogue.

    The beanie looks great on you! Keep rockin' it!
    -Kim

    ReplyDelete
  6. I am enjoying the visual of you and the beanie. Your writing rocks.

    ReplyDelete
  7. @ Kim. Yikes! Babysitting and Pennywise are a bad mash up. Thankfully I was past that stage of my life when the movie came out.

    @ Sandra. I may get an actual beanie now and wear it in my personal lab. Yunno the one where I cook up stories and such

    ReplyDelete
  8. I hope your beanie has propellers. Cuz that would be awesome.

    Just added this one to my reading list. I've had fear about reading it, too, and most other books 'on writing' for that matter, for all the reasons you listed, but mostly, I've forgotten about his. Time to remedy that!

    Oh, and you'll never be a quacker, my dear, even if you sprout tail feathers and start waddling... ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  9. P.S. I dig the Christmas-colored fish. Or perhaps you're merely paying tribute to the Italian flag...hmmm...

    ReplyDelete
  10. @ Lisa - no the fish follow the season. After Christmas they may go back to their normal blue/white scheme. I'm off to find a beanie. They are surprisingly hard to find

    ReplyDelete

 I have written a lot about my belly - series of poems dedicated to it. I happen to like my belly. Always have Oh, I know it's not what ...