Tuesday, December 28, 2010

Random thoughts on a random walk in the snow...

Yunno I got my trail.  Haven't been out in it in some time now.  And I can tell too.  Too much couch and not enough boots.  I have been meaning to go for a week, but I am the Mistress of Lame Ass excuses.  Time to correct that little habit.  So out I go.  

Met three new friends out there today - Rusty, Bear and Teetee who barked at me tails wagging.  Which end am I to believe?  In this case the tail end.  Barked at me every time they crossed my path until they smelled my gloves and realized that this two-legged had worshipped them already and moved on.  

I was unwilling to risk the big hills and frozen water bars that were iced over from lots of feet and mountain bikes.  So I settled for those parts I could reasonably traverse which wasn't very much.  Still it took as long to navigate those short pieces as the whole does in summer.  I generally avoided the icy middle and navigated the edges of the trail where the snow still gave me modest traction.  Even so, cautious, because one can never tell what lies just under that unbroken crust of snow.  It is so deceptively innocent and sparkly as if to say I wouldn't hurt a fly, when all the while it hides a hole, slippery leaves or ankle biting rocks.   Gingerly trying each placement and finding it suitable, planting a foot authoritatively thru the crust.  

Using this technique I managed a short set of water bars and a small hill.  I might have dared more if I had not brought the camera.  But I worry about wiping out and breaking this toy it took me two years to acquire.  I am content with today's effort.  Some of the restlessness has been quelled.  It has been enough.


No comments:

Post a Comment

 I have written a lot about my belly - series of poems dedicated to it. I happen to like my belly. Always have Oh, I know it's not what ...