Sunday, December 5, 2010

Old Nuggets Pt 3

On My Father's Birthday  April 22, 1986

I looked up tonight at a sky filled with stars
and I hoped that you're happy and warm where you are.
The sorrow I feel wells in my soul
at the thought of you tired, or hungry, or cold
And the thought of me living my days without you
makes my grief deeper,  and guilt sometimes too. 

Never once did I think of your place in my life
until it was too late.  Then like a knife
your absence ripped through me destroying my peace. 
Only in hope and in time have I found surcease
from the pain that so gripped me when you passed away.  
I would have done anything to convince you to stay.

Now
I weep for the stories left untold
I weep for my children you'll never hold
I weep for a smile faded from view
I weep for the smiles I saved just for you
I weep for the yesterdays to be redone
I weep for the morrows we would have won

But mostly these days, I weep for me
and how things could have been and would be.

Just one more time to hear your mirth
while you walked still with me on Earth
Just one more time to touch your hand
and side by side together stand
To this time let my love flow out
so that you'd never feel a doubt.

But life's not that kind and now that you're dead
I think of things I wish I had said
So I'm saying them now for the world to hear
I love you my da.  I miss you my dear.

I know I can't change the way things were then
so, I try to look for you in all men
I used to throw my arms to the sky 
and plead for a reason why you had to die
These days instead I look at the stars up above
and know you are there and know you are loved.  


Untitled  February 11, 1987

Oh, I could be 
more like you

But why is it that you 
are not more like me?

This world needs
more of love
and roundness
and less of the 
harsh angularity
that is you.


The Cradle March 4, 1987

I stare at the empty cradle
and wonder if I will ever fill it
push it and watch
as it rocks lonely
in the dust

In my head 
I hear the squall
of generations.

And I sit
and rock
arms crossed
hollow of life
and understand

For I am the cradle.

No comments:

Post a Comment

 I have written a lot about my belly - series of poems dedicated to it. I happen to like my belly. Always have Oh, I know it's not what ...