Wednesday, December 2, 2009

The Chagall Windows


Quite a while back, I went to Chicago with some friends to take in the Monet exhibit which was an absolute visual feast. These large shows issue timed tickets as a form of crowd control. We arrived with moments to spare and rushed to the wing that housed the exhibit so we could make our assigned ticket time. On our hurried flight, we passed so many amazing things that I couldn’t catalogue them all and finally just contented myself with telling myself that I would come back and spend some time at the Art Institute discovering all its wonders.

One thing in particular though still stands out – the Chagall Windows. These made me stop my running feet and just stare slack jawed. The windows transformed ordinary everyday sunlight into luminous cobalt pools of light there on the marble floor. Hypnotized by the beauty of that light, my feet made their way closer. I knew that if I could just be in that light I would be content. I imagined myself lying on the cool marble floor bathing in Chagall’s magic blue. However, before I could get there one of my compatriots grabbed me by the arm and pulled me away. I have never forgotten that moment. And, yes, I still tell myself that I will get back there on that mythical someday. 

Some people want to shop the Miracle Mile. Some want to take in a Cubbies game. Some want to press their nose against the glass in the Sears Tower. I want to lie on the floor and bathe in Chagall's Blue windows

No comments:

Post a Comment

 I have written a lot about my belly - series of poems dedicated to it. I happen to like my belly. Always have Oh, I know it's not what ...