Wednesday, December 2, 2009

Enough Stones

Sunday, January 18, 2009 
May the Creator put enough stones in your path that you recognize when it’s smooth. This is the tag line to Homer’s set. And I must admit that I had to hear it three or four times before I got all of it because of the laughter and the applause. But every time I hear it all the hair on my neck stands up. And I’m not the only one. I have never met someone like Homer. Never believed in love at first sight (science chicks almost never do). Never expected honesty of this caliber. Never dared a relationship like this one. Never stuck with it when things got twisty. Never gave myself over wholly to the pleasure. Never let myself laugh like a buffoon or cry like Miss America in front of someone else. Never allowed someone to be who they are. Never dared to be that person myself either. Never allowed myself to be vulnerable, to be hurt. Never learned that I am strong enough to pick myself up and to laugh through all of it. Maybe his greatest gift is that he has taught me to dance around the stones and laugh rather than kick at them until I am frustrated and bleeding.

No comments:

Post a Comment

 I have written a lot about my belly - series of poems dedicated to it. I happen to like my belly. Always have Oh, I know it's not what ...