Friday, March 25, 2011

The Beast of Beauty Pt 3.

Yes, I AM still thinking about this.  Someone do me a favor and SHOOT ME!

This week, I decided that some reconnaissance might be in order to see what other people had written about this story.  Or re-written about it.  Nearly all the available books were located, according to the card catalogue* of the computer, in YA and J.  Where the hell is that I wonder?

I wander a bit increasingly frustrated before I realize that those designations are Young Adult and Juvenile.  Guess that explains why I have never seen those books before.  In an effort to be thorough, I checked out books from those sections of the library.  I was a bit surprised by the amount of occult-themed writing in the YA section no doubt due to the popularity of a certain series about vampires located in a part of the US where I had just visited.  I wonder how many of those Harry Potter hating parents even knew about this explosion of wizards, witches, vampires, weres, and all manner of supes in their public library?  I'm thinking not very many or there would be more outcry.

But I digress.  I recently saw the movies Beastly (snore).  Save your money or see Red Riding Hood instead.  Gary Oldman - nuff said?  Beastly is a tepid retell of the original.  I have seen the Disney version (which I sheepishly now admit I LOVE), and the Cocteau film which I cannot recommend highly enough for it's visual treat-ery.  But this quest was for those other stories - the ones I hadn't seen yet.

So after trips to both Newport and Ft Thomas my haul included:

The Dragon Prince by Laurence Yep - a Chinese telling of the tale I found in the children's books.  GREAT artwork.  Soso story.

NEXT


The Princess School: Beauty is a Beast by Jane Mason and Sarah Hines Stephens - Oh HAIL NO!  This one is a trifling adaptation which takes place in princess school and reads like some Hannah Montana storyline - Only less interesting.  It's one redeeming feature is that in this crap story the heroine is both Beauty and the Beast.  The hero vapid to the point of annoyance.

MOVING ON

Belle by Cameron Dokey.  Short chapter book which re-tells the story in a pretty standard way.  Omitting some of my favorite parts.  Still a truthful love story rendition of the original.

NEXT


Beast by Donna Jo Napoli.  The most interesting aspect of this book is its taste of Persian culture and Islamic faith.  Nothing really interesting except that is this variation the Prince does not anger a witch, but is cursed by an evil spirit for improperly preparing an animal for sacrifice.  Talk about a vengeful god.

BATTER UP!

Beauty by Robin McKinley - perfectly safe, perfectly boring.  YAWN!  Do kids really read this stuff?


STILL TO READ


Rose Daughter by Robin McKinley
Crazy Beautiful by Lauren Baratz-Logsted

But honestly, I don't hold any hope that there will be even a novel thought in any of these. Just more of the same.  Why is that what sells?  Is the general public too lazy as thinkers/readers/movie-goers to take in something truly novel?  Sigh.......




*A card catalogue for those of you under the age of 30 is a beautiful piece of cabinetry with small pull out drawers that were a mile long full of index cards listing the library's holdings.  Nothing replaces the feel of the paper and the sensation of flicking through them rapidly.  But I'm afraid that the card catalogue has gone the way of the window nooks, the smooth as glass marble floors and the cool shade of the old Campbell County Branch Library.  I miss the way that building was always cool even in summer and how those seats were an open invitation to just sit and read.  Sigh............

No comments:

Post a Comment

 I have written a lot about my belly - series of poems dedicated to it. I happen to like my belly. Always have Oh, I know it's not what ...