Saturday, March 19, 2011

The Beast of Beauty Pt 2.

So, I have been puzzling the gender reversal of the tale of Beauty and the Beast and coming up empty handed.  Just having trouble imagining it.

This week, I am catching up on back episodes of Glee and there right in front of me is a reasonable example of what I am looking for.  The storyline between Noah Puckerman, resident Glee bad boy and all 'round hottie and Lauren Zizes the female HS wrestler.  Not that I think Lauren is disfigured or ugly.  Not by any stretch of the imagination.  Actually she is played as a confident, sexy, kick-ass, beautiful round girl that knows who she is.  She doesn't fall for his bad-boyness or his charm or his fake machismo.  Lauren holds out.  Holds out where the pretty girls mostly cave to him.  How extraordinary.

This storyline has been developing over the past 4-5 episodes.  And at the beginning, I thought it was just gonna be more Glee plot schlock (there is lots of this), but this past week I give the story writers credit.  They have me BUYING the unlikely pairing.  I catch myself believing that Puck really cares about Lauren in ways he didn't for traditionally pretty girls Rachel, Santana, and Quinn who were just conquests for him.  I give them credit for NOT making the heavy girl desperate for a BF.  For giving her a sly sense of humor.  And for writing her strong!

I am curious to see how the writers will play this one out.  Will they allow it to be real, or will they fold to culture norms and let both characters fall back into cookie cutter expectations?  One can only hope.

P.S.  I am also cheering for Kurt and Blaine's romance which seems written in an equally real fashion (or as real as a musical TV show series about HS glee club gets).  And that they will write a love scene for Coach Bieste the Amazonian woman who coaches the football team.  

No comments:

Post a Comment

 I have written a lot about my belly - series of poems dedicated to it. I happen to like my belly. Always have Oh, I know it's not what ...