Saturday, March 26, 2011

A Letter to Mama

Dearest Mama,

I catch myself today repeating the usual pre-first date litany.  Please let him be the one.  Please let him be the one.  Pleaselethimbetheone.  Through 30 years and countless men, it has always been the same.  Two or three I have thought were right.  Two or three have thought otherwise.  It is my challenge to continue to look.  To hope.  To believe that one day you will hear my prayer and he will fly across my path as if by magic.

Let him be the one who sees my brave heart and compassionate spirit.
Let him be the one who focuses on the lilt of my poems rather than the size of my hips.
Or if his eyes do linger along the curves, let them be filled with fire at their generous proportion.

Let him see beyond the glasses to the laughter sparking in my eyes.
Let the chemistry be mutual, incandescent, and lasting.
Make him feel as if I have known him my whole life.  As comfortable as family.

Let him be brave in his words and fearless in exploring his own heart.
Let the feel of his fingertips brushing my skin make my breath catch.
Let him flow into the empty places I have created in my life against his arrival.
Let him add books to my shelves that have yet to delight me.
Let him know the purpose for that melon baller thingy.

Let him accept my support, but not need it given constantly.
Let his words be a mix of those I love and some I don't know enough to love yet.
Let him be easy in his skin and in his laughter.

Let him create space for me in his words and in his thoughts.
Let the smell of him be familiar and comforting.

Let him see me as I am, as I was and as I want to be all at once and find it both humbling and pleasing.
Let me be the same to him - except for the melon baller.

5 comments:

  1. That is so beautiful. It brought tears. I will keep my digits crossed for that one to find the wonderful you.

    If'n I were the marryin' kind, I'd steal this for my wedding vows.

    It's that good.

    ReplyDelete
  2. not the marryin kind ma self either at this point. but thx.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Let us each be so lovely and strong!

    ReplyDelete
  4. That's beautiful. My husband is like that to me even though he annoys me every day in exactly the same way (vice versa I'm sure). He brought to my life a cherry pitter device instead of a melon baller.

    My advice from years of being single after 3x as many years being married: when you stop looking, that person will be there.

    ReplyDelete
  5. So many thoughts and feelings this piece generates. Words escape me now so I will say simply, it's glorious and I love it.

    ReplyDelete

 I have written a lot about my belly - series of poems dedicated to it. I happen to like my belly. Always have Oh, I know it's not what ...