Monday, September 6, 2010

Sankofa Bird

So this week I had a dream full of symbols, most of which I did not recognize. Yunno how dreams are good for weird shit like that. There are people in the dream, but I don't really remember them too well. Toward the end this bird flies by and when I ask what kind it is (yes, apparently I am even a nerd in my dreams), one of the elders tells me "Why that is Sankofa bird".

OK. I know Sankofa - the symbol from West Africa, but this bird doesn't look like that in any way. Once I remember that Sankofa is a symbol I recognize a few of the dream symbols as other Adinkira symbols as well. When I look on the internet, they are all Adinkira symbols - a few I swear I have never seen.

And if the isn't weirdly strange enough, just for shits and giggles I Google Sankofa bird.....and....you guessed it. There IS a sankofa bird. It is a mythical bird (which trips off a few sensors for me right there - since I have this whole story line about a water phoenix that is a parable for the loss of the divine feminine and women's power).

I scammed this from the internet. It speaks perfectly about where I am right now.

SANKOFA is expressed in the Akan language as "se wo were fi na wosan kofa a yenki." Literally translated it means "it is not taboo to go back and fetch what you forgot".

"Sankofa" teaches us that we must go back to our roots in order to move forward. That is, we should reach back and gather the best of what our past has to teach us, so that we can achieve our full potential as we move forward. Whatever we have lost, forgotten, forgone or been stripped of, can be reclaimed, revived, preserved and perpetuated.

Visually and symbolically "Sankofa" is expressed as a mythic bird that flies forward while looking backward with an egg (symbolizing the future) in its mouth.


Crazy how my own subconscious knows what to push out to get my attention.

No comments:

Post a Comment

 I have written a lot about my belly - series of poems dedicated to it. I happen to like my belly. Always have Oh, I know it's not what ...