Saturday, September 11, 2010

Burning the Quran

Sometimes people scare me.  Not just in their violence, but in their short-sightedness.  Case in point the plan to burn the Quran today (thankfully cancelled).  Aside from the fact that libricide to me is nothing short of a damnable offense, it is not a good way to get your point across.  Yes, they have to right to protest publicly - First Amendment and all.  
But.......

- We are a country founded on the concept of Freedom of Religion.  That encompasses all religion even the ones you don't understand or particularly like (which to my eyes would be anything that is not your own).

-Actions like this are the fodder for Al Jazeera.  It feeds right into the stereotype of Americans as spoiled, indulged, intolerant and hate filled.  We are not all like that.  Just as they are not all like what Rupert Murdoch's news shows us.  What if the majority of us are nothing like what the other sides news portrays us to be?  What if we could see pictures of kids playing soccer and tween girls shopping.  Of couples canoodling on benches.  Of families gathered together to share a meal.  What if they saw that too instead of Hollywood's version of America or short-sighted, intolerant, bozos who thing Quran burning is a good way to commemorate 9/11.

- Don't even try to couch this under the guise of patriotism.  The repercussions of seeing a Quran burning in Afghanistan would be renewed action against the ground forces stationed there.  Increased loss of life of soldiers that BOTH sides of this argument love.

Like I said people scare me......




No comments:

Post a Comment

 I have written a lot about my belly - series of poems dedicated to it. I happen to like my belly. Always have Oh, I know it's not what ...