Saturday, January 5, 2013

The January Project Day 5

I am not a woman who thinks a new pair of shoes cures what ails me.  I do believe there is a pair of red suede booties with a short stacked heel with my name on it somewhere.  So today I went to Shoe Carnival hoping it would be the day that these came into my orbit.  Sadly, no.

But I couldn't help but smile at the toddler trying on a pair of red patent leather shoes with six inch heels and managing to walk down the crowded aisle in them.  Everyone stepped aside to let her by as she weaved and paraded, smiling at her big moment.  A small voice inside me cheering her on.

I don't know what the fascination is that small kids have for trying on shoes that are too big for them.  I can easily remember my own nieces trying on whatever shoes were lying around and clomping around in them.  It didn't matter what kind of shoes they were or whose.

The photo is of my niece Tori proudly wearing her papa's size 16 kicks.  Phil will wear that size forever.  Tori will never be that small again.  Her fascination with Phil's shoes seems to have waned.

But there is something to be remembered in her trying to fill them with her tiny feet.  And maybe that small one in the store today reminded me of every child I have known, even reminding me of my own feeble attempts when I was small to wear a pair of shoes not meant for feet so small.

It was a beautiful moment that made me smile.

1 comment:

  1. It made me smile too. It reminded me of photos of my husband's twins trying on his cowboy boots (also size 16) when they were barely walking!

    ReplyDelete

 I have written a lot about my belly - series of poems dedicated to it. I happen to like my belly. Always have Oh, I know it's not what ...