Friday, January 4, 2013

The January Project Day 4

To all my non-nerd friends - avert your eyes from this post.  I beg you, before it's too late.

Today's beautiful thing is.......

STATISTICAL SIGNIFICANCE!

If you have it and don't need it - what a waste.

If you don't have it and want it, NOTHING beats getting it.

I have been schlepping my way through a veritable throng of mice for the last 6 months or so, trying to figure out how to do inflammation scoring in mouse small bowel.  Why, you ask?  Good question.  This mouse is going to be our model from Crohn's Disease, so it's good to know what you got.

Anyway, it's taken a couple tries to get the scoring system down.  And a couple of runs at the proper conditions.  Today, I hit my happy place as I completed the last, for now, of my slides, churned out the data numbers and VOILA - statistical significance was achieved.  Big happy dance.

Wha?  You don't know what statistical significance is?  It's a measurement of how different things are and the likelihood that it happened by chance or whether some pattern is detected.




PATTERN
DETECTED
HAPPY
DANCE

Makes for a very happy Friday.

BTW - I warned you.



No comments:

Post a Comment

 I have written a lot about my belly - series of poems dedicated to it. I happen to like my belly. Always have Oh, I know it's not what ...