Sunday, June 5, 2011

The Last Sunday of Freedom

This is it kiddies. My last day of unemployed freedom.

3 seasons have turned around me
Cool fall gave way to a snowy winter
Winter melted into the rainiest of springs
Spring yielding at last to the hot embrace of summer.

7 months of delicious sleeping late
of lingering coffee
of leisurely hikes through the woods.

Weeks spent traveling to Seattle
to Portland
to Virginia
to Tennessee
and to DC
where the only thing that concerned me
was nothing.

Days spent so deep in words
that I would forget to surface for air
spent staring at first snows
through the wavy glass of the kitchen window

Mornings so slow they bumped into themselves
both coming and going
Lunches of such lingering laughter
that will feed me for lifetimes.
Afternoons curled in a chair reading
Being bathed in the cherry red of countless sunsets
Stalking rainbows with my camera
and laughing at the misses.

Hours of complete peace
Minutes of joy
Seconds of fleeting insights

Breathless heartbeats
where the world stops in-between.

Yes, I have had the luxury of time
this last sevenmonth.

And I am better for them.

4 comments:

  1. Lush and gorgeous! Sounds like you are in a better space about everything.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Funny what a few tasty adult bevs can do for your overall mood.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Lovely poem. Lots of great images and lines. You should get this one published for sure!

    ReplyDelete
  4. You may find, after all this time and space, that you are also able to find more time and space at the lab! xoxox

    ReplyDelete

 I have written a lot about my belly - series of poems dedicated to it. I happen to like my belly. Always have Oh, I know it's not what ...