Thursday, June 16, 2011

Journey of a Lifetime

Tell someone you know you're attending a workshop on Shamanism, then sit back and watch the freak out begin.  Tell them you are studying it and have been for the last six or seven years and you may see convulsions.  Extra bonus if the folks you're talking to are science geeks.  Caution:  Full on cranial explosion may result in the latter group. 

I like to kid about it.  Yes, I know it's not your usual go-to-meetin kinda spiritual belief system.  Yes, I know I am white as snow and most of the people who follow this belief system are anything but.  Yes, Mr. Spock I know it isn't logical.  But it is my choice.  If you have heard me speak about it, you are one of the few.  It is not a hanging out my shingle kinda shamanic practice for me.  It's more personal.  It is part of who I am, as immutable as my size 11 feet.  And every step that I take on planet Earth with those size 11 feet is guided by principles, suggestions, and intuitive understandings that come from those very shamanic practices. 

I am not going to defend that here....or ever again.  You are free to take it or leave it. 

That's not what this post is about.  I just needed to say it once.  For me more than for you.  So that I can stop feeling the need to explain it so that it makes sense.  It doesn't make sense.  It never will.  But that doesn't change what I believe. 

Anyway - what I wanted to blog about today is my very first journey.  I had gotten the weird stares and exploding heads and was sitting at my first workshop about how to do a Shaman's journey.  My friend Toby is instructing us in entering an altered state of consciousness riding the back of the drum he is playing.  (No drugs were used or needed.  Just to be clear.)  We are practicing traveling back and forth between here (ordinary reality) and a place that looks very much like here (non-ordinary reality), but isn't, one that responds to every thought I have.  The energy of the universe is accessible and easy to use here.  Some people are struggling just a little.  I have not one iota of angst.  I was made to do this.  Non-ordinary reality is not bounded by things like gravity or day-night cycles.  I am goddess here.  We play in this space, arranging things in what will become our homebase, our powerspot.  I am getting rid of buildings that I don't like while I lie on a picnic table.  The picnic table is ungodly uncomfortable, so I imagine it comfy like my bed.  Still looks like a picnic table, but is now enveloping like a feather mattress.  After that, I divert the river and make it make an ox-bow around my powerspot.  Happy, I kick back to relax adjusting the clouds and sun so that the temp is ideal. 

We are transitioning between here and there over and over.  From there we begin to explore other realities/levels/planes - whatever word works for you here.  I should mention that as soon as I am there the first time in, a lightning fast black blur flies directly at me and leaps into my arms.  The physical impact is negligible, but the energetic impact just about knocks me over.  A roving ball of love I immediately know has greeted me.  This is my beloved Nara, waiting all this time not to come back into the Earth plane as I expected her to, but instead waiting for me to make the journey to her.  A happy reunion of kindred spirits. She walks with me always these days.  We raced on and never looked back.

There have been a million steps on those size 11 feet since that first journey.  Nara is still with me.  I am way happier and more well-adjusted for every journey I have made since that first one.

4 comments:

  1. I'm wondering if it was Nara who was following you through my kitchen one evening last winter... a bouncy very black creature, quite a pleasant energy....

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hellooo....kitchen......labrador. I'm sure it was. Old habits sometimes die hard and she DID love her fooooods.

    ReplyDelete
  3. She sometimes pretends/forgets that she still needs that.

    ReplyDelete

 I have written a lot about my belly - series of poems dedicated to it. I happen to like my belly. Always have Oh, I know it's not what ...