Sunday, October 24, 2010

Field of Dreams

Some images just stick with you.  For years I have had dreams of walking thru the waist-high grass floating my hands along the heads.  
When I saw this in the opening scene of Gladiator, I wept.  Not because of the movie, which was stellar, but because here on the screen larger than life was the very image I dreamed.  

I have watched that movie many times since that first time where I sat and quietly wept.  Each time that image is so strong and evocative that I cry.  But why?  Because I have walked that field many times.  Alone.  Only once did I share that journey with someone else and he continued on alone to a place I could not follow.  I hope that when I can, he is there to meet me and there will be no more weeping.

1 comment:

  1. I love that you've posted this. I'm pretty sure that The New World starts with a similar shot of tall grass and person touching it as it sways in the wind. Powerful, powerful.

    ReplyDelete

 I have written a lot about my belly - series of poems dedicated to it. I happen to like my belly. Always have Oh, I know it's not what ...