Wednesday, October 20, 2010

A Weeded Yard

I have always had a fondness for weeds.  The bright dandelions that gave way to the wish-fulfilling puff balls.  Preferred them to my namesake roses that required pampering all summer long.  The dandelions needed none of that.  Wanted none of that.  They thrived in the neighbor's yard who cared least and were absent at the end of my mother's metal digger from my own.  Thereby, depriving me of the joy of skipping thru my own yard and setting them free to float around me on the faint breeze of my passing.  

I will always wonder what it might have been like to sprawl in my own yard and enjoy the dandelions.  Maybe if my mother had cared more about me and less about those wicked yellow weeds I would not have to wonder.  

Fast write 10/20/10

3 comments:

  1. Your mother felt she was giving you the most perfect impeccable golf course standard yard. She felt that was love. Digging dandilions is not fun.

    ReplyDelete
  2. My mom did the best that she could with the tools she had. A far sight better than the yard of her own childhood. We all learn and grow from the generation that comes before us. It is their gift to us. Even if it seems an empty box.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I remember clover growing in the yard sometimes and giant grasshoppers and crickets flying at my legs. Thanks for the memories Mary though I feel a bit sad for what we've lost with Chem Lawn and all....

    ReplyDelete

 I have written a lot about my belly - series of poems dedicated to it. I happen to like my belly. Always have Oh, I know it's not what ...