Saturday, January 2, 2010

Patricia's New Year's Day Women's Circle


So, I wrote that blog yesterday and got to thinking about Carolyn - what a warm and amazing spirit she has and how I rarely see her. But then I remembered that New Year's Day is the day that Patricia has her women's circle. It is an ever-changing event and you never know who's gonna show up. But somehow I knew that Carolyn would be there. And just like that I knew that I was going to go. Late. Empty-handed. Neither of those things would I consciously do, but Spirit obviously wanted me to go.

So go I did. Glad I listened. I walked in right as the small group for this year was beginning my favorite part - the story sharing. I listened as each woman told of her experience in 2009 and claimed her vision for 2010. Powerful. Each story held pieces of another woman's story. Job loss. Love lost and found. Issues around family. Those common threads weaving us together. Normally I would practice what I was going to say (yeah yeah.....I am anal like that too), but this year even when it came my turn, I had no idea what I was going to share. Perhaps it is better like that.

The best part for me was that I am in a place the past few days where I have been encouraged to see the arc of my journey over the last 9 years (or over my lifetime....or several lifetimes) and see the progress that I have made in such a short time. As I listened I got a clear picture of just how far I had come since I got my first invite to this event. No longer the frightened little bunny hiding behind the big comfy couch. No longer caring what they thought as I sat there in my baggy ass ripped jeans and too big T-shirt. NO makeup. No shower. Hair a van de Graff static fun do. No longer anxious. No longer meekly sitting quietly hoping to evade notice. I took my rightful place in the circle yesterday with those amazing, powerful and beautiful women of all kinds. I belong there because I am one.

It was a wonderful afternoon. I left well-fed in body, mind and spirit ready to embrace 2010 and all those surprises it has in store for me.

No comments:

Post a Comment

 I have written a lot about my belly - series of poems dedicated to it. I happen to like my belly. Always have Oh, I know it's not what ...