Tuesday, April 24, 2012

Kerouac's Watch

the last few weeks have felt odd 
by which I mean, I feel odd in the world 
kinda vulnerable, exposed
like hiking above tree line
keeping one eye on the clouds
expecting the lightening at any moment

feeling like nothing fits anymore 
places that used to hold me
now pinch like brand new saddle shoes
that I want to hurl away from me and
scamper ahead barefoot, barefaced, unapologetic. 

voices, sawing back and forth on my skin,
every word utterly abrasive
but still they keep nattering on
bleating and blatting
expecting me to give a shit

disconnected from time
as if I am no longer wound
into the mainspring of it 
as if past, present and future are all now 

I don't want to play nice anymore
I don't want to compromise, to listen
to please everyone but me
I want to overwind the spring
until cartoon boing-y noises
splinter out of it
I want to shoot them all the bird
hit the road with my thumb out
and see where it takes me

2 comments:

  1. Love the title of this one! That restlessness with a side of "discontent" and dash of fu, I get it. I appreciate your poems.

    JP

    ReplyDelete
  2. So evocative and descriptive. I can hear the boing and see the bird! Love this!

    ReplyDelete

 I have written a lot about my belly - series of poems dedicated to it. I happen to like my belly. Always have Oh, I know it's not what ...