Sunday, April 22, 2012

Another Year

It's not quite a wedding gown, but it'll do.
Today is April 22.  91 years ago my dad was born on this day.  He's been gone a long time now, 27 years.  I have stopped imagining what our lives would look like if he had lived.  Stopped imagining him walking me down a long gothic church aisle.  Stopped imagining him, head thrown back in laughter bouncing my daughter on his knee.  Stopped imagining him telling me how proud he was of me.  Those things didn't happen.  Nor are they going to.  That is the truth of it.

But I have not stopped imagining his face or his voice, his funny buckling knee.  I don't have to imagine how much I love him.   That will never change.

Even as I write this, I feel his hand on my shoulder.  He is here for me whenever I need him.  He is never more here than on April 22.

1 comment:

  1. I'm so very glad you have the memories of your dad. It's obvious how much you care about him - present tense. We don't stop caring because they aren't here do we? I never knew my dad, but when I married Hubs his Dad adopted me. I love him dearly. We lost him a month ago. I miss him every day but am so grateful for the time I had with him.

    ReplyDelete

 I have written a lot about my belly - series of poems dedicated to it. I happen to like my belly. Always have Oh, I know it's not what ...