Sunday, May 30, 2010

Moving Furniture

He didn't like the way I had arranged the furniture
when he met me.
He told me the couch belonged in opposition
to the TV where it would make for
better viewing.

I didnt consider the careful positioning that had taken me
2 years of testing to acquire
I didnt consider that what he meant was it would make for better
TV viewing for him.
I didnt consider that I had not asked for
his opinion.
I didnt consider that I had already tried the arrangement he suggested
and discarded it.

It was just furniture and where it sat in the space meant nothing to me.

I dutifully and without assistance shuffled around the furniture
to suit him.
and when he moved on,
I quietly
moved
it
all
back.

Turns out, it did mean something
to me.

This one resoundly kisses me and my feet skim
the floor.
Then he asks about the blinds.
He seems annoyed by their absence.
He doesnt ask me why or
about the beauty of the light and
how it moves me
to leave the windows
uncovered.
Or how I cannot abide the winter shadows.
Or how cutoff those curtain make me feel
how alone.

He asks instead about the neighbors seeing in.
I laugh and say let them look.
He seems upset by that.

My feet slam back into
the floor.

3 comments:

  1. Such a beautiful, sad truth. A fine poem.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Readbacks..."Turns out, it did mean something to me."

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you both for reading and posting feedback. WWFaC remains one of the best things I ever did for myself and you two are strong evidence of that.

    ReplyDelete

 I have written a lot about my belly - series of poems dedicated to it. I happen to like my belly. Always have Oh, I know it's not what ...