Thursday, May 6, 2010

Dream 5/6/10 - The Forgotten Space


I have been waking up before my alarm. I love the natural way that feels not to be jarred out of sleep, instead to gradually surface at a tempo that feels good to me. One thing I noticed is that I am much more likely to remember my dreams doing this, much more likely to float in the in-between space where they are lucid and interactive.

This morning I woke up, stretched (cat's definitely get this right), and tumbled out of bed. Breakfast in the making I began to recall the dream I was in when I woke up.

I am driving in an area I know it seems like it might be 3L Highway in Ft. Wright? For some reason I pull over. There are a jumble of buildings here - some convenience stores, a old car salvage yard and a sprawling ranch house that looks like its been added on to over and over again. The house, unlike the buildings around it is in generally good shape. I am drawn to a part of the house that looks like it is an apartment. When I get there I open it with a key I didn't know I had. As I walk in I see that it is an apartment. It's a furnished apartment and it looks like someone lives in it. It has the usual clutter of living, but is clean. No cobwebs or dust. I wander thru it and things begin to look familiar. I am seeing things I had. Many of them things that I have misplaced or lost track of. The space feels vaguely familiar and this is my stuff. So how can I have no memory of living here? In the closet are boxes of things that have gone MIA that I have searched for and been unable to find. Things I can remember wanting and missing desperately in some past part of my life, but that now are simply nostalgic feeling. How can all my stuff be here? I don't remember living here. Or moving out. And if I did, how did all this stuff get left behind? Why is it so clean? Did I forget to move this stuff out?

Moments later the owners of the house come home, see that I am in the apartment and present me with a bill for unpaid rent? The sum is staggering. I know I can't pay it, but that doesn't seem to bother me. They dont seem upset that it has gone unpaid for who knows how long either. None of this gets resolved. I am curious about what is in the house, but don't really want to go to the effort to move it out. I get in my car and drive away.

No comments:

Post a Comment

 I have written a lot about my belly - series of poems dedicated to it. I happen to like my belly. Always have Oh, I know it's not what ...