Tuesday, May 18, 2010

Cardinal Message

I was leaving work last night about 7:30PM. Glad to finally be leaving. When I got off the elevator on the fifth floor of the parking garage and started toward my car I heard a cardinal singing closeby. His rousing CHEER CHEER CHEER CHEER followed by purtypurtypurtypurty is unmistakeable. I walked over to the half wall and found him singing in a nearby tree that was nearly eye level. I stopped and listened. Maybe even smiled. I stood there quite a while leaning with my arms on the brick wall just listening and being happily present to this moment. As if he sang just for us. Him for the joy of the song. Me for the joy of hearing it.

This cardinal then did something that surprised and kinda startled me. He swooped from his treetop perch 20 yards away and flew directly toward me, lighting on the wall not even three feet from where I stood. He looked at me and started to sing again. I stood rooted. Was this really happening? Was he really singing to me like this? How lucky was I to be the one he had chosen to gift his song? It was a perfect moment in an otherwise quite ordinary day.

No comments:

Post a Comment

 I have written a lot about my belly - series of poems dedicated to it. I happen to like my belly. Always have Oh, I know it's not what ...