Friday, June 15, 2012

Yellowstone in Winter


Thinking on Yellowstone
     on wolves
     on snow

My very bones
respond to vibrations
that beckon me
with seductive downturned eyes
     Go around the Road Closed sign
      I promise snowy delights
     you cannot imagine

Elk gathered in winter herd
collected like Christmas shoppers
at Rockefeller Center
hooves churning snow
in an elaborate ancient dance.

Delicate mountains of snow
Perched on shaggy winter-coated bison
head low, swaying back and forth
foraging for the last dry blades of grass.

And the wolves

Always my thoughts circle
back to the wolves
to summer nights in 1992
lying in my tent
in the heart of the glory that is Yellowstone

summer nights
     too quiet
     too empty
     without the soft shuffle of padded feet
     without a jubilant greeting
     without spine-shivering howling
     without the wolves.

No comments:

Post a Comment

 I have written a lot about my belly - series of poems dedicated to it. I happen to like my belly. Always have Oh, I know it's not what ...