Thursday, January 26, 2012

The Tongue's the Thing

I had my teeth cleaned this week.  Something I have done twice a year every year for the last say 45 years.  So, roughly 90 times I have sat in a similar chair.  This time I am laying there while the hygenist picks and scrapes my teeth when I suddenly wonder - Where is my tongue?  45 years of teeth cleaning and I have never thought or wondered about this before.  I mean who gives a rat's ass - right!?!  Being mentally OCD, I then HAD to figure it out.  I realize it's kinda sticking straight out all tense and stuff.  I don't like metal things in my mouth and as the tools are all metal-y, I think this is a tongue posture I have learned to minimize contact of my tongue with anything metal. 

I focus hard on making my tongue relax which took an amazing amount of focus and energy.  I finally feel it flop over onto the mirror.  The hygenist gives it a push with that same mirror and back at attention it goes - all that relaxation for naught.  I pretty much spent the next 30 minutes all too aware of my tongue, which is just weird given that I had never even considered it before.  And trust me tongue awareness is brutal. 

1 comment:

  1. Laughin' with you on this one, tongue awareness IS a brutal and horrible thing.

    At least you don't have the visualization problem that comes with it. It's damned hard to giggle whilst people are poking about in your mouth...and it seems to annoy them.

    ReplyDelete

 I have written a lot about my belly - series of poems dedicated to it. I happen to like my belly. Always have Oh, I know it's not what ...