Friday, August 12, 2011

Neither Here Nor There*

*Always said with with a long i in neither.  That is a phrase my mom used to dismiss any point she felt off topic in an argument.  Off topic being anything she couldn't refute.  

Today I am thinking about my little weird
corner of the Universe where I stand
scientist and spiritual being.  
Dismissed from both with that long i neither.  

My science colleagues scoffing at anything
they cannot see or touch
anything that they cannot prove.  
My spiritual colleagues giving the same eyeroll
to the CERN supercollider as binomial equations.  

Thought being the antithesis of all things spiritual.
Spirituality being the assassin to science.    

Really?  
Is the world so very binary then?  
Just full of ones and zeroes?  
Lacking all the beautiful integers larger than one?  
And what of the space between 0 and 1?  

Can complex things not be proven
in your heart as simply as in your mind? 
Are knowing and believing simply the 1 and the 0?

A homely space of infinite beauty that.  
That is my space. 
My home. 
Between the 1 and the 0
Holding the one with my right
and the perfect emptiness of the zero in my left
in equanimity


5 comments:

  1. I'm with you here! (WC)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Mary, you are awesome in how you express things and how you see things!! You amaze me.

    ReplyDelete
  3. But there are lots of scientists in your boat, aren't there? All those physicists who sound like trance channels, and explain the world and space in language that is very dreamy.

    Maybe it's the lab-ness of your current work, the daily interactions with mice, that keep the thoughts of the folk there at a small level, not extrapolating to the larger miracle of life itself.

    You're there, though. So that will change everything! xoxox

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love the poems this week. And I gave you an award....

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks T. An award from a fellow writer is always high praise.

    ReplyDelete

 I have written a lot about my belly - series of poems dedicated to it. I happen to like my belly. Always have Oh, I know it's not what ...