Thursday, May 26, 2011

The Power of Words

I have blogged about this before - the power of words.  Think back to when you were in High School and someone called you a name that hurt you.  Just the energy of the word alone was enough to wound.  We have all experienced it.  We all understand it in this negative form.  And yet we are unable to stop using our own words against ourselves.  Do they carry less sting just because we are the ones to wield them?  Nope.  


Somedays I lose my patience with folks as I gently try to re-direct their thinking and their words to those that are more positive.  The positive words' energies are equally powerful, but they fail to see the potential that speaking about themselves in a loving and supportive way would bring.  It makes all the difference in the world folks!!


Even a magician knows about the power of words.  Abrakadabra after all is based on the Aramaic in which abra (אברא) means "to create" and cadabra (כדברא) which means "as I say", providing a translation of abracadabra as "create as I say"**.  


As I speak, so shall it be.  


Think about it.  What are you creating with your words?  




**swiped from Wikipedia....c'mon you don't really think I'm fluent in Aramaic do you?

3 comments:

  1. I've been training my words to be more encouraging and supportive of myself. It's easy to cheer a friend or peer on, but when the time comes around to boost yourself up, I find my words turn dark and negative. Each day I get better.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've been having some rough patches in life lately, so it's taking all I have to filter and remember how powerful words can be. I know I've recently said some hurtful things, but I am trying to make ways and turn it around. The more positive I try to be the more positive I hope to be!

    Sara

    ReplyDelete
  3. It is an insidious phenomenon. In part, because we are taught as women that it is unseemly to be proud. Instead we say negative things in the hopes others will say "No you're not" and so validate us. The trouble with that is that all validation is external. I want every woman to see herself as beautiful, clever, desirable, funny, etc.

    One woman at a time. Starting with me. Looks like you 2 got it goin on. Kudos

    ReplyDelete

 I have written a lot about my belly - series of poems dedicated to it. I happen to like my belly. Always have Oh, I know it's not what ...