Wednesday, May 25, 2011

I'm Not Really Feeling It

I don't know why that is, but over the last couple weeks it's like someone switched the writing switch to the OFF position and didn't bother to tell me they were doing it.

I make the appointment at my desk every day for an hour.  I sit and twirl my hair, sip coffee and let my brain off its leash.  But it just sits there like a big ole male lion waiting for the lionesses to hunt, kill and bring back a tasty idea.  And when the hour is up and I haven't written a word, I slip out of my chair and get on with the day.  Most days, I never come back to that chair to write.  Although I will come back to check email, google some weird thought, look at match profiles (ho-hum), shop online a bit.  But this never lasts long before I am up and restlessly pacing again.

Maybe it's because in my head I was to be working by now.
Maybe it's because the weather is nice enough most days now to play outside.
Maybe my brain needed a break.
Maybe it's just summer.
Maybe it's the end of the writing semester at WWfaC.

I could go on, but will spare you.  So I am not writing.  Big whoop.  It's not the end of the world.  No one is injured by that.  And I refuse to feel guilty about it.  I see my writer friends trying to eke out 30 minutes in which to write, and here I sit with entire days of writing time and just the blank page to keep me company.  For months that has been enough.  But today it just isn't.  And there's nothing wrong with that.

When I started my blog I was quite content to write a piece every week or so.  When did I decide that I had to write one every day?  Really?  What if I have nothing of worth to say today.  Surely silence would be better than drivel droppings from my frontal lobes.

I am not unhappy that there are few words for me today.   Maybe I need to miss them a little so that I can be happy when they return and are there dancing onto my page.

3 comments:

  1. Mary - I've been there with you so many times. But writing is like working out. The important thing is to "show up". Don't have to run marathons, do speed work, bench press 20 pound weights. Just show up and do the best you can in the moment.n Good for you for sitting there for an hour. That's what counts in my mind. Also, while there are talented writers whom I admire, their process may not be mine. I've had to give myself permission to feel my way through my own process (with help from wonderful friends like you, of course!)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Given my penchant for avoiding working out, it's amazing to me that i stick with the writing. And thanks chica. Love you too.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love the conversation you two are having! Writing changes every day, doesn't it? : >

    ReplyDelete

 I have written a lot about my belly - series of poems dedicated to it. I happen to like my belly. Always have Oh, I know it's not what ...