Friday, February 18, 2011

Defining Success

"lose ourselves in the curved energy"  
- from What Did We See Today by Robt. Bly


This was part of a poem this morning offered through the Writer's Almanac.  It is a transcript of the same by Garrison Keillor on NPR.  I highly recommend it if you don't receive it.  

This single fragment was so gobsmackingly beautiful.  It moved me.  Good writing does that for me.  Moves me that is.  I don't know what it is about this little phrase, but it is elegant and makes my head explode at the same time pondering it.  The thing is, I have no idea how Bly meant it.  I don't need to.  I only know that when I read it, it makes me want to launch out into someplace far above here where the graceful curve of the Earth is apparent.  Makes me want to cast my little coracle into the flow of sweeping unseen energies.   Makes me yearn to be part of that curved energy.

I could write for the rest of my life.  And if in all those scribblings I produced one thought of my own that made me feel like this, I would consider myself a rolicking success.

No comments:

Post a Comment

 I have written a lot about my belly - series of poems dedicated to it. I happen to like my belly. Always have Oh, I know it's not what ...