Tuesday, October 18, 2011

#18 Disrespecting My Parents

Stupid question.  I may disagree with everything they stand for, everything they say, how they represent themsleves to the world, but direspecting ANYONE is another no-no.  Much less my parents. 

I wonder if I would have answered this the same in every decade of my life so far?

At 10 - I knew my life was different, but I loved my parents more than anything.

At 20 - pretty assured that they were both minions of Satan and treated tehm accordingly.

At 30 - pretty much ignored my remaining parent as much as possible.  Needing to figure out my own plans without interference from her or her beliefs.

At 40 beginning to see that love doesn't require understanding or cookie-cutter sameness or anything other than the ability to be in love.  (NB: Not that googly-eyed 'in love' but in love as in the place of love).  That there is no success or failure.  There is only how we love one another.  I began to try to love my mom more.

At 50, I love her for herself.  I love her for the strong things she gave me.  Anything else I have let go. 

Since my mom is almost 84, I'm not sure there will be 10 more years to work at our relationship.  I intend to kick back and enjoy what is. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

 I have written a lot about my belly - series of poems dedicated to it. I happen to like my belly. Always have Oh, I know it's not what ...