Friday, October 15, 2010

Sorting It Out

I have so many thoughts going on in my head right now. 

 Some are wonderful idea thoughts.  
Would that bit make for a good poem or even a book?  
Can I remember those 4 notes that sounded sweet? 
Wonder if Pete would let me do a garden next spring?

Some are pesky little worry thoughts.  
Excuse me.  But exactly how are you gonna get by on half your current salary?
Did I pay the electric bill?    
Oh crap!  Am I gonna be late?  

Most are random unimportant day-to-day thoughts.  
Is there enough gas in my car?  
Are there clean underwear?
What did my boss just say to me?  
Have I thoroughly sealed the murine teleportation device?  

Ok that last one maybe not an unimportant one.  

Somedays the noise in my head is unbearable, requiring earbuds and the Clash played at a volume that makes an audiologist salivate.  Somedays I cheat and just watch TV until my brain goes to sleep.  Reality TV is the best soporific.  What I really need is a berry sorter for my brain.  

Blueberries, or any small roughly round object really, will sort themselves by size if you gently jiggle the container in which they reside.  The theory is that the small berries fit more easily in the nooks and tend toward the bottom as they find crevices.  Larger berries tend toward the surface because the smaller ones begin to occupy the space at the bottom of the container.  I tried this and it does work.  One caution:  Blueberries are not the toughest fruit and so vigorous jiggling is discouraged (unless they are smoothie bound).

So clearly what I need is for someone to jiggle my brain.  Not so hard that I get a brain smoothie.  Just hard enough that the big, juicy, ripe ideas rise to the surface as if by magic and those small, bitter, unripe ones sink into oblivion.   


3 comments:

  1. I love this post, I like the idea of shaking things up gently to help the better ideas to float to the top. I wonder if meditation might do that. Enjoy your posts. Connie

    ReplyDelete
  2. PS, I fed your fish for ya. :-) Connie

    ReplyDelete

 I have written a lot about my belly - series of poems dedicated to it. I happen to like my belly. Always have Oh, I know it's not what ...