Thursday, September 9, 2010

Credo

Yunno that scene in Bull Durham where Kevin Costner expounds on his beliefs? Just in case you don't, here is a link to it:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sBfdl6hNZ9k

It is a brilliant piece of screen writing delivered perfectly by Costner and reacted to equally perfect by Susan Sarandon. Anyone who has seen the movie remembers that part even if they remember nothing else.


I have been giving that scene a lot of thought and trying to imagine if I were to write it what it might look like.....

S: Well what do you believe in?

M: I believe in God, but that he/she is unknowable. I believe in the power of words to change the world. That story can either heal you or imprison you - your choice. That a loaf of homemade bread is the cure for everything.  I believe that there is help available is we ask for it and that sometimes the response that best gets us there is no. I believe in dark micro-brewed beer, Universal health care, personal accountability for your actions and that a good Brazilian will get your attention. I believe that an apology is the hardest and best gift to give. I believe that every woman is beautiful just as she is without makeup or hair extensions or plastic surgery. I think science, art and spirituality are all the same thing. I believe that Eric Clapton is a god, that Memphis is the perfect town. I believe in alternate realities to this one - lots of them. I think nerd is sexy, that Peyton Manning is the best QB ever, that getting old happens in your head and that BP execs should be fed a steady diet of high fructose corn syrup.

S:  Oh my.

3 comments:

  1. AND you're that kind of a Clapton fan too?!

    I may just have to swipe this idea for a future post. I like it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Go for it Barb. Eric heals what ails me.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I watched this again last night. Just such a fine movie - even if it is about baseball. SORELY disappointed that the TV station chose to cut BOTH the kitchen table scene and the bathtub scene. WTH!?! We are grown ups. We have sex. Get over it.

    ReplyDelete

 I have written a lot about my belly - series of poems dedicated to it. I happen to like my belly. Always have Oh, I know it's not what ...