Friday, December 25, 2015

HO HO HO

It was my second Christmas spent in Memory Care.  I was feeling tired and "over it" before I even got there to find the mama more confused than usual.  Such is the case when she has guests earlier in the day.  I was super grateful to have missed them, so that I could focus on her.

I planned on leaving after dinner, but since many of the residents were busted out I sat and ate with the mama.  Christmas carols played loudly in the background.  Mom and I sang.  One of the few places I just don't care and will sing.  While we ate, I heard something amazing.  One of the residents, Annie, who has a great singing voice was humming along.  Her humming meshed beautifully with the carols, bounced around in the dining room and for just a moment the music became more than just canned music with a slightly deaf senior humming along.  It was as if the heavens opened and for a spilt second I swear there was an ethereal choir that sang with her.  I thought I might cry it was so lovely and just what I needed to fix my Bah-Humbug.

The miracles that happen in Memory Care are small like this one, but they are so mighty and they produce profound ripples.

No comments:

Post a Comment

 I have written a lot about my belly - series of poems dedicated to it. I happen to like my belly. Always have Oh, I know it's not what ...