Wednesday, May 23, 2012

Tea Party



So, I had this dream last weekend - the only one I had to share with my dream group.  In it I am walking through a field and come across a table set for tea.  At the table are the familiar faces from Alice in Wonderland - the hatter, the doormouse, the march hare.  The queen of hearts is there even though she most certainly did NOT attend tea in the book.  The table is only half full of attendees.  But one by one they each turn to me and say exactly the same thing - "There is no Alice" and then go back to their tea and conversation.  Looking around the table, I see that they are right and that no Alice is sitting there.  But I think they meant something else. 

Upon waking the thing that stuck with me was there almost mantra-like chant of ThereIsNoAlice.  I have no idea what that means.  Why did my subconscious throw that out?  Suggestions were made by my group, but none of those really felt like truth to me. 

There have been an absurd number of writings about Alice and its metaphysical or symbolic meaning, I won't bore you by re-hashing that.  Don't get me wrong, I read some of the Alice analysis, but, not unlike dream group suggestions for possible meanings, the symbols described felt old and stale.  And I am not the kind of person that is inclined to rely on other's interpretations of things.  I mean, what do they know about what MY sub-conscious might mean by it?  Right?  Commonly held meanings found in the ususal suspects actually kinda annoy me.  I dislike anything that encourages people to interpret things always in the same way.  You know the kind of references I mean.  The one where hawk is the "messenger".  Really?  Cuz in my brain hawk is a predator of the first order among other things - none of which by the way is 'messenger'.  I also get annoyed by an absolute reliance on these materials rather than developing your own understanding of the symbols in your own head.  It seems the lazy way out.  There is/was also much made about the concept of 'down the rabbit hole', perhaps too much to my way of thinking, as a euphemism for dream or shamanic journey-type work.  I blame the Matrix for that complete ass-hattery and utter co-opting of Carroll's lush and fanciful words and images for something so plodding that makes me 'gyre and gimble in the wabe'.  . 

But I digress.....Where was I?  Oh yes.....Wonderland.
Not much to do here but to pull Alice off the shelf, curl up, commit myself to Wonderland and see for myself why there is no Alice. 

That and to check Etsy for Vorpal Swords for sale.

No comments:

Post a Comment

 I have written a lot about my belly - series of poems dedicated to it. I happen to like my belly. Always have Oh, I know it's not what ...