Wednesday, May 9, 2012

Nebra-Kalkriese-Externsteine

I took a deep dive last night into some neolithic Northern German history.  That IS what the girl does for fun on a random Tuesday evening.  Scoff if you must, but I find archeology quite interesting.  It's like a puzzle that's missing a lot of pieces.  I'm NOT talking dinos and stuff here, but more cultural anthro/archeo kinda stuff. 

The interest in that particular region of the world stems out of a piece of fiction that I am pondering and sometimes even writing on.  There are so many things about the land, the culture and this story that I just KNOW.  That sometimes creeps me out a bit.  OK.  Somedays it creeps me out a lot.

Yesterday was one of the creepier kind.  I was fishing around reading about Kalkriese and Teutoberg Forest which will play in the book in some fashion.  Then I opened a page that had this on it.  I knew immediately what it was and what the markings meant.  More than that though, it was as if I had SEEN this before.  This is the Nebra sky disk, a more recent archeological find from an area in Lower Saxony thought to be an ancient astronomical observatory.  Cool.  I like astronomy too.  Bonus, for an artifact that is 3600 years old, it is still gorgeous.

Externsteine
From there, I dug in and found the Goseck Circle and from there the stones of Extersteine.  That made my heart flip over in a queer way.  It was Tintagel multiplied by a million.  Like Stonehenge only more intimate.  I closed down the digging for the night and just sat with what I had found.  All these areas are quite closely located geographically.  Each has called me.

Did I mention my family can be traced to this exact area as far back as 1600AD?  That is what started the whole book thing.  Trying to imagine what my ancestors before those records might have been like.  Little did I know that asking that would bring me face to face with them.  Things that I have written about before I got caught up in the full bore research that are documented and known.  I accept it, but it still kinda weirds me out.  Especially when it gets close up and real - like yesterday. 

The thing is one of my friends has been trying to plug me back into the ancestors.  He helped create a ritual around doing just that.  I, of course, have been waiting for them to start yammering in my head again which has been their MO in the past.  Last night, I kinda realized that the ritual was working all too well.  They aren't speaking to me as much as showing me, showing me places and objects that I have known.  And last night they simply took me home.

1 comment:

  1. Very cool. Maybe you lived before? Edgar Cayce theorized that reincarnation was real and that the same group of people lived and re-lived (if that's a word) together over and over. So you'd have memories from past lives lived in that area. Alternatively, isn't there a theory that we have gene memory? Would that be applicable here do you think? Either way, I got the shivers reading about your experience!

    ReplyDelete

 I have written a lot about my belly - series of poems dedicated to it. I happen to like my belly. Always have Oh, I know it's not what ...