Thursday, May 10, 2012

Burned Out Writer Seeks Muse: Inquire Within.

Last night was the last class for the semester at Women Writing.  I have been enrolled there since the fall of 2007 (a fact I had to look up since Sharon T. isn't in class with me anymore.  We started the same semester and she always kept track of it for me).  6 years and 16 semesters later I have quite a body of work to show for my time and a serious number of the women I met there have become my friends.  Many of my friends have done a semester or a workshop at this place and count themselves among the community.  For the fortunate women of Greater Cincinnati it is a balm against the world, a place to be heard and encouraged no matter your skill level. 

Initially my writing was all short prose pieces like the kind you see out here.  But I get bored staring at my own face so much.  I mean who wouldn't?  Eventually I branched out into poetry and became a passable poet.  Ditto short story.  The one thing that evades me is a novel-length piece of writing.  Oh, I have the idea for one or two.....hundred.  I have even made a couple of forays into writing the first chapters. 

The problem I have encountered is that WWfaC doesn't support that kind of writing (at least not for me, and when I listen closely, most of my classmates interested in this kind of writing have a similar take).  And that SUCKS!  Because I want both.  I want to be able to pursue writing something lengthier AND I want to be able to take it to this supportive environment where it can be as lovingly crafted as my poetry has been. 

For example this semester I had a rockin small group and over the roughly six weeks that we met, I was able to only get through a 12 page short story.  A short story that easily could have grown up to be a book.  The snail's pace of 1-2 pages/week killed all the enthusiasm I had for this project just like it did the last long work I tried to bring in.  And it kinda pissed me off that this WRITING CLASS, seriously killed off my desire to write what I wanted.  And not being able to write what I wanted made me unable to write pretty much anything.  Oh there were some small things that squeaked out when I wasn't pouting.  But this has been the least productive semester I have had in years. I want to stress here that this is not a function of WWfaC or of my small group, it is something inherent to the structure of the class itself.  It favors short length pieces of writing and poetry.  As a consequence, that is what most people bring to class.   

There are some obvious ways around this.  Trust me I have been pondering it a long time.  One would be to send the entire work to my small group and let them read it and then discuss it during my 10-15 minutes of time over a couple of weeks.  But there is something inherently and gut-wrenchingly NO!!! about letting something I have written out of my hands ever again.  (Last time I did that I got fucked over royally to the tune of $8500).  I trust the women in my group, but how do I know who might see this?  Who might have access to that file?  This is my baby, my thought child, my precioussssss.  I have yet to solve this one.  But there are a few neurons that are puzzling still and will continue until my puzzler is sore.

Anyway, after class last night when I got home, for the first time in six years I didn't feel jacked with fire and word fuel to throw on it.  I didn't want to sit and write for a couple hours before I went to bed.  I sat and watched TV - America's Next Top Model and Survivor.  I know.  YIKES right!?!  I wanted to just veg off the dregs of energy from class and brain bubblegum is a good way to do that

This is not, I repeat NOT, a reflection of the class or the people in it.  In fact, the people in class the past few years have been pretty awesome across the board.  What it is, is a reflection of where I am.  I am sad and burned out beyond belief.  The process there doesn't enchant me anymore.  Quite the contrary, I found it grueling to make it through the last few weeks and wanted to seriously HURL every time anyone used the following words:  rich, gift, affirmed, held, abundant, and countless others.  Again - reminding folks that this is just me.  It seemed a bit too self-congratulatory for my scorched earth spirit.  Every week I felt I had less and less to give.  But I pulled on my big girl panties and finsihed out - just like I always do.  I know some of my WWfaC friends will read this.  Please don't be hurt by the words.  I'm not talking about you or slamming an organization you love.  I love it too. 

I think last night was scary in how different it felt to the Wednesday evenings I am used to.  I want old Wednesday night feelings to come back.  But right now I want some distance and to find a place that breeds my own fascination, my own inspiration.  I need that.  In every aspect of my life.  I can't rely on the world to provide it for me.  It has to come from me.  It's taken me six years to get to where I am.  I owe every atom of that to WWfaC and to dozens of women who sat in small group with me. 

That said, this summer I am off on a quest looking under stones, pulling down mountains and chasing a dream that is Mary the novelist. 

4 comments:

  1. I totally understand what you're saying and I can't imagine anyone that's been in the class would take offense to anything you said here, so no worries.

    I was able to bring in chapters, but I had to read really fast and it only worked with small groups of three people. And I definitely couldn't bring in all the chapters, just the ones I really needed help on and usually out of sequence.

    Ironically, it was WAY more difficult to get through as many chapters in the mastery class, which was supposed to be geared toward people writing longer pieces.

    Sucks it isn't working for you now. I'm thinking about signing up for the summer term.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Go for it! I am on a break until fall. Looking forward to getting back to longer semesters. This 8 week stuff sux.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Mary, I miss you! I wish I were still there on Wednesdays to bask in your rich abundance and hold your words and affirm your gifts ;) No, but really . . . I miss you and the circle. I am no novelist, but as you know my writing tends to be longer than 3 minutes and I can only imagine how much more restricted you would feel if you had a novel brewing! I hope you find a muse and that I do too!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Back at ya ST. The circle is made smaller by your absence.

    ReplyDelete

 I have written a lot about my belly - series of poems dedicated to it. I happen to like my belly. Always have Oh, I know it's not what ...