Saturday, February 25, 2012

Something Unexpected This Way Comes

I told myself that I was going to the Apple store today to get the laptop a new battery and THAT'S THAT.  The Apple store is in a part of town that makes me queasy - overly affluent and cosmetically indistinguishable people abound there.  All with all the subtle energy of an iron maiden.  Only for something really important would I voluntarily go there.

Circling the lot I tried to give up, but I am intolerably stubborn sometimes.  I finally asked the peeps to make me a place so I could get in and out quickly.  Within the next row or two someone pulled out right in front of me - YAY!  Unfortunately this spot meant I had to trudge the entire distance of the mall to get to Apple which is like running the gauntlet to my way of thinking.

Bitch on a mission face - check!
Running shoes - check!

Unfortunately I forgot what the Apple store is like on the weekend.....at midday.  WTF was I thinking?  I made an appt for before the store opened on Sunday and bolted back to my car.  Sincere apologies to anyone I might have elbowed out of my way on the going or the coming back.  Still shooting the finger at the bitch who was in such a hurry to snag my parking place she came within a hairsbreadth of slamming me back into it.  

Sitting in my car, breathing as deeply as I can, kinda shaking a bit, I leave.

My next stop is the library which I will unabashedly tell you is one of my favorite places.  If it were food, it would be mac-n-cheese.  I have overdue-age that I intend to pay before selecting a number of books on CD for an upcoming road trip.  The librarian tells me they owe me $18.  Cha-ching!  THAT was most unexpected.  I can't find what I want and head out to another branch that is located nearby.  SCORES big time!!  About the time I finished up, there was a choir just getting ready to start singing.  I hurried because I am not a choir-y kinda girl in general.  I turned around when they started singing because this was no pablum Christian gospel choir.  This was full blooded old African slave songs.  Sweet!  I sat rapt.  I love this kinda music.  Form there they segued into Africa African music complete with drums and dancing.  For those of you unfamiliar with it, this is a whole body kind of singing that is a serious expression of community and joy.  I was a puddle of goo when they finished.

1 comment:

  1. "If it were food, it would be mac-n-cheese." YES! Home made mac-n-cheese with lots of gooey melted cheese and crunchy crumbs on top!! Yummy! LOVE the library!

    ReplyDelete

 I have written a lot about my belly - series of poems dedicated to it. I happen to like my belly. Always have Oh, I know it's not what ...