Wednesday, February 29, 2012

I'm leaving

I have been planning a spring getaway in my head since December.  I chose a good time, suitably after the mid-February grant deadline my boss was working toward.  He postponed it of course and it would have been easy enough to ditch my plans, but I haven't had a real vacation in a year now and I needed it.  I have to admit, I plan a LOT of these in my head knowing full well they will get blown out of the water by some unexpectted fiscal bullshit or explode under the pressure of commitment.  So I put my ear to the railroad track to listen for the train (Yes - fully expecting the decapitation). 

But nothing came. 

No other shoe fell.

I was kinda confused with how to proceed.  I found a great place in Dauphin Island, Alabama, but couldn't make myself pull the trigger on it.  It was soooo far to drive, and kinda just outta my price point and honestly, I have a perfectly good apartment that I pay for that is mostly quiet right now so why did I need somewhere else with those same qualities?  To which my little voice said It's not on the beach.  Little voice is ALWAYS right, but I don't listen as much as I should.  Instead I went on with the litany of excuses.  It took a good nudge from one of my co-workers to make me do it.  Grateful for that nudge. 


There was a time when I was fearless about this kind of thing.  When without any thought or pre-planning, I would throw my shit in the car and bolt for anywhere that struck my fancy.  When did I get so old womanish?  So frightened?  When did I become so comfy in my little life that I couldn't step out into a bigger one? 

UGH!!! How I hate that. 

So next week, picture me here.............>>>>>>>
in my peagreen eco-friendly beach house, walking thru the sand, sitting in the adirondack chairs, enjoying the peace and the quiet Gulf sunset. 

1 comment:

  1. Enjoy! Have a tall cool drink for me and I'll channel the feel of sand between my toes. :D

    ReplyDelete

 I have written a lot about my belly - series of poems dedicated to it. I happen to like my belly. Always have Oh, I know it's not what ...