Sunday, November 20, 2011

My friend Jane says when she gets bad writer's block she thinks about writing a haiku.  There is something small and approachable in haiku that seem to work no matter what acid filth is dripping from my pen.  I prefer to write small stones - a moment of conscious presence to wherever I am.  So kinda the spirit of haiku without the syllabic nonsense.  




Little sparrow
sleeping in the eaves
how like my heart you are
small and shelter-seeking.








There is for me something very honorable and appealing about sparrows.  Maybe their nondescript feathers.  Maybe their appearance in bulk at my feeder no matter the season.   Maybe it's the raucous noise that passes for song in sparrow-world.  There is part of me very like to these little birds.  

2 comments:

  1. I also like your little cat - I've just been playing with her, and making her purr.

    Beautiful poem.... xoxox

    ReplyDelete
  2. this is lovely and really speaks to my own shelter-seeking heart

    ReplyDelete

 I have written a lot about my belly - series of poems dedicated to it. I happen to like my belly. Always have Oh, I know it's not what ...