Saturday, October 1, 2011

Blog Challenge #1 Weird Things I Do When Alone

Jeez.  Really!?!  Right off the bat we gotta go there?

I spend a lot of time alone and have therefore developed quite a few alone quirks.

1.  I sing.  Probably the only time I do this activity which to the casual observer sounds more like a vernal pond in spring.  Nah - that's given the frogs a bad rap.  This is worse and I know it.

1b.  Because it's really part of 1 proper.  I chant.  I will make up a goofy chant and use it all day.  When I am not alone, I just chant it in my head.  They are often silly.  When I was unemployed my favorite one was "Easy Peasy.  Make it breezy".  Actually this is my favorite one whenever things get tough.  It's no ohm, but I am starting to think it works.

2.  I spaz.  I have no idea what this is about.  It hasn't always been the case.  But there are times when I will get some whole body neural overload and have to do one complete body flail as it passes.  It never happens when I am around other people.  Or I suppress it more effectively.  I suspect it is some very low level Tourette's symptom.

3. I read my writing aloud.  I find it helps with the pacing before I read it at class.

4.  I use really crappy accents.  I am a natural mimic and will try to acquire accents.  Trying to master the subtlety of Australian English v. British English v.  Irish English v. Scots English v Pirate.  Those are the main ones.  But working around quite a few foreign nationals I can do most of them.

5.  I never fart publicly.  I don't need to elaborate on that.  Suffice it to say that I don't hold back when alone.  Ditto belching.  Ditto nose picking.  Did I mention I was raised with 4 brothers?  I blame them.

6.  I drum.  I used to do this publicly, but never got better.  Now I save my mad drumming skills just for me because I think I am awesome!!!

7.  I talk to myself ALL.THE.TIME.  I don't know when it started.  But it is now a regular part of every day.  All I need now are a dozen cats and my future in set.

8.  I step dance.  BADLY.  I learned the fine art of step dancing from the Lady Diamonds my first senior year of college.  This is not your buttoned down pale Irish kinda step dance, but a whole body celebration African American kinda stepping.  I was enchanted by how they could keep such intricate rhythms by stomping and clapping.  They were amused by my complete inability to get it.  It was funny.  I still do it - only when I am alone.  I don't know why.

1 comment:

  1. I really embraced the alone time I get now that I'm currently out of work. You learn a lot about yourself. Not to mention become more comfortable with your crazy side without worrying who might see. Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete

 I have written a lot about my belly - series of poems dedicated to it. I happen to like my belly. Always have Oh, I know it's not what ...