Sunday, October 9, 2011

#9 My Last Kiss

Again invoking the bait-n-switch.  Kinda.  Most people assuming this would be written about the last romantic kiss.  Maybe it would if that had mattered.  Not that it didn't matter.  It did in the moment, but I doubt I will remember it 5 years from now.

A kiss for me is one of the most intimate of actions.  There are very few people I am OK with kissing me, even on the cheek.  That includes my family.  So when I am not dating someone, there aren't very many kisses to choose from.

My mom is in Disney this week with my younger brother and his family.  Before she left we went to dinner.  She has been uncharacteristically sweet to me the last few weeks.  Seems to be one of the silver linings for me in her decline.  Admittedly a bittersweet one.  I have been thinking about her a lot the last few months - about a time when she won't be here anymore.  About how that moment is approaching like the proverbial freight train.  About how I never know when that will happen, or when she will slip away from me mentally to a place we can no longer reach.  Becoming aware of what that gap will feel like.

As I dropped her off, I leaned over, kissed her on the cheek and told her I loved her.  Just like I always do.

4 comments:

  1. Painfully sweet. May the freight train be derailed...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Jo.....Yunno up til today I thought you were one of my friend from writing class. Who knew!?

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is what happens when one finally posts a picture of themselves! I came to your blog from Barb's (Gypsy). I really love your writing!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ahhhhh....mystery solved. Thanks for your support and feedback.

    mary

    ReplyDelete

 I have written a lot about my belly - series of poems dedicated to it. I happen to like my belly. Always have Oh, I know it's not what ...