Monday, October 3, 2011

#3 What Kind of Person Attracts Me

Because answering this in a strictly relationship way would be tedious and because there is significant overlap between the two, I will address this in a more generic way.

Someone who can look into my eyes and tell me the truth even when I am hoping they will lie.
Someone who finds beauty and humor in the world every day in equal measure.  It is after all a very absurd place we inhabit Alice.
Someone who uses their brain for good.  They don't have to be snobby smart - those people sometimes leave me cold - but they can't just be floaters in life.
Someone creative - don't care if you are a creative plumber or the next Picasso.
Someone with a big vocabulary. 
Someone who allows me to make my own mistakes and refrains from telling me what to do.
Someone deeply connected to their spiritual side.  I mean diving bell deep.  Shallow paddlers need not apply.
Someone who doesn't allow their junk to pile up but processes it.
Someone who sees that less is often better.
Someone who laughs, who invites me to laugh, who cultivates quirk.
Someone with whom I can just be who I am without pretending - unless that is part of the game.
Speaking of games - someone who plays....OMG random hopscotch just broke out.
Someone who doesn't bring out that competetive asshat I can be.
Someone who has an imagination - and USES it, TALKS about it, ENCHANTS me with it.
Someone who looks at me and sees ME - not just the size of my ass. 
Someone who brings different to the table and allows me to become familiar with it.
Someone who reads/writes poetry - As my friend Barb says - TRIBE!
Someone who treats their mama well no matter how she has treated them.
Someone who forgives - I mean to the bone forgives because they recognize that forgiveness is a gift you give yourself.
Someone who can be happy for me without feeling sad for themself.


I dunno.  It's a magical, alchemical thing what makes two people become friends.  Some I know on sight and claim.  Some I have passed thru Purgatorio with and come out the other side - shaky-legged and unsure of anything except that I love them.  Some are unexpected gifts in plain packages on days not remotely my birthday or anything.  Some I borrow from other friends.  Some screech up on  FatBoy Harleys and pirate me off.  Course some of those laid it down just as easily and gave me impossible road rash later. 

I believe every person I meet is there for a reason.  I may not like the reason for all of them, but everyone affords me an opportunity to learn and grow.  And as it generally turns out, the people I struggle with the most offer me the most growth opportunity.  It is unpleasant in the moment, but when I can truly let go of my own drama and angst something rare happens.  I see what a gift these schmucks are if I can get there.  And that right there is a twisty funny enough thought to eat my head for the day.  Buhbye!

1 comment:

  1. Even a competitive asshat can be tamed by the right person.

    You have GREAT standards!

    ReplyDelete

 I have written a lot about my belly - series of poems dedicated to it. I happen to like my belly. Always have Oh, I know it's not what ...