Saturday, October 22, 2011

#22 10 Things About You People Don't Expect

Before I start with today's blog, I have been mulling yesterday's.  I'm not so sure 'getting over' things is the answer.  Nor am I sure what anyone means by that turn of phrase.  Mostly I hear it uttered in a kinda 'shut-up-already' way.  To which I flip those people the bird.  I don't think we ever forget the events that mark us.  But those scars fade and become part of our skin.  We don't so much get over things as we accept and embrace them.....and here's the important part WHEN WE CAN.  There is a timing to everything and people will do their work when they are ready....or they won't.  Ask yourself - what does it matter to you that someone is not progressing at the rate you think they should?  When are you most likely to tell someone to 'Just get over it"?


Now onward and upward my friends....

Today's topic is a better one than most.  I like people who surprise me, people who make me re-evaluate everything I have ever thought about them, people with lots of facets.  Maybe I like them because I am one.  Dunno.

So here goes.  In no particular order.

1.  The scientists don't expect a shamanic practitioner and vice versa.  Kinda fun to watch them try to deal with that personal oxymoron.

2.  That I am not nor have I ever been married.  This does not make me a lesbian (not that I see anything wrong with that.  It has been proposed as an alternative to remaining single and if I had ever met a woman who made me feel something I would probably have gone that way willingly.  But I didn't).  It means that I refuse to settle for something less than what I deserve, that I had some issues that needed to be worked on before I could enter a relationship.  Mostly I think it is a reflection on the poor choices that men make rather than any insufficiency on my part.  But I hope.

3.  They never quite expect that creative side.  They don't expect the poet, the writer, the photographer, the print maker, the painter, the artist.  I don't know why.  She is a huge part of me.

4.  I don't think they expect the low brow humor.  I love off color humor and will take an ill-uttered word immediately into the gutter.  I love it when someone can go there with me.

5.  That I dig NFL football.  That I want to sit on the couch with the dudes and yell and scream at the TV rather than exchanging recipes and baby-rearing stories with the women in the kitchen.  What I really need is a group of women friends who love sports and also understand the social incorrectness of double dipping.

6.  I can be goofy.  Not too many people get a chance to see that side of me.  I don't think they appreciate it.  I don't care.

7.  They never expect to hear about such a crappy past.  I think that's because I rock such a solid happy person to the world.  I have done most of the work and tried to 'get over it.'  LMAO

8.  That I often prefer my own company to that of others.  Most people think that makes me weird or anti-social.  Maybe it does by their standards.  But what the fuck do I care about their standards?  Sometimes I just need a world without people and unnecessary noise.

9.  I have a Jeopardy-worthy command of useless factoids.  I don't know why my brain stores these things but loses the name of the person I just met 2 seconds after they say it.  But it does.  So if you wanna know who won Best Actor in 1979 I'm your girl (I made a stab that it was Dustin Hoffman for Kramer vs Kramer and was correct).  If you want help with that dude's name at the staff meeting - good luck (insert sound of crickets chirping).

10.  I spend my spare time carving stamps, tromping through the woods and prowling city streets trying to avoid notice in my pursuit of my super secret treasure hunting hobby.  I could tell you about it, but then I would have to kill you.

No comments:

Post a Comment

 I have written a lot about my belly - series of poems dedicated to it. I happen to like my belly. Always have Oh, I know it's not what ...